What is there to say about guacamole, really? I think this tasty avocado based concoction speaks for itself, loudly and deliciously. There are few things as enjoyable as a perfectly ripe avocado, and the fact that they provide a wealth of health benefits is just the icing on the cake (or to be more apt, the chili slices on the guacamole!).
I won’t try to claim that this is an authentic guacamole recipe, because alas it is not. Although on second thoughts, maybe it’s not that far off… I can’t really say as I’ve not yet been lucky enough to experience truly authentic Mexican cuisine. But one can always dream… Gotta have goals in life! #guacamoledaydreams
In other news, here are a few bits and pieces that have been keeping me entertained over these last few months, between work, uni exams, …more work, and uni break. Buen apetito!
* Winter in Perth can only mean small bars, fireplaces, and red wine
* But, if it’s summer in Perth you’re lusting after, prepared to be mesmerised for 3:47 mins!
* If you love food and witty banter, you must listen to my new podcast obsession Spilled Milk
* 52 places to visit in 2015, according to the New York Times
* The gut microbiome is a fascinating area of science, embrace your inner nerd and take Gut Check: Exploring your Microbiome (hosted by the University of Colarado) with me!
* Sometimes crowdfunding leads to really cool things happening…
* Gotta love beef; here’s some cooking inspiration
* Everybody’s heard of gluten, but what the heck is it anyway? (hint: a protein!)
* Not ready for the real deal? Check out these pretty (and temporary!) tattoos
* For your perving pleasure… 😉
Makes a medium sized bowl
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
Juice of two fresh limes
1 medium garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 – 1 whole red chili, finely chopped
Small handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Optional Ingredients, to Serve
A few slices of fresh chili
A sprig of coriander
1. Using a fork, smoosh the avocado in a bowl until it is the desired consistency (I like to leave it a little chunky!)
2. Add all remaining ingredients (salt and pepper to taste), and gently mix to combine.
Top with a chili/herb garnish and scoop up with corn chips, spread on fresh toasty bread, or have it for breakfast along with some poached eggs.